Yield: serves 4
• 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Pork loin chops or silroin steaks, boneless
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• ¼ tsp (1 mL) minced gingerroot
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
• ½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper, divided
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) EACH olive oil and water
• 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
• 3 green onions, chopped
• ½ cup (125 mL) low fat yogurt
• ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
• 8 leaves lettuce
• 2 large nectarines, sliced
• 4 pita breads, cut in half crosswise
- Place pork in a plastic bag, non-metal bowl or sealable container.
- Combine garlic, gingerroot, sugar, ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and water. Pour marinade over pork; seal or cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight, turning meat occasionally.
- Meanwhile combine cucumber, green onions, yogurt, salt and remaining ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper to make a salad.
- Preheat barbecue on high, reduce temperature to medium.
- Discard marinade. Place pork chops or steaks on a lightly greased grilll. Close barbecue cover and grill 8 to 10 minutes per side.
- Remove from barbecue; slice thinly and keep warm. Tuck a lettuce leaf, slices of warm pork, and nectarine slices into each pita bread half; top with cucumber salad mixture.